Sutton Bonington Bowls Club
Percy Haywood and his father, Thomas,were the main instigators in the formation of Sutton Bonington Bowls club. They called together a group of interested men and the club was born. From that day onwards Percy played a big part in the running of the club.
After the inaugural meeting Percy soon obtained the services of Bill Cage and Jack Collins to level and turf the new green.
In the early days Percy lent the club a small marquee for the teas and he used to take water up to the green in milk churns.
Sutton Bonington Bowls Club has now been in existance for eighty one years and over those years many members have had countless hours of pleasure bowling on a green situated in a most pleasant position on the outskirts of the village.
The club has not had a very glamorous history, but it is worth recording. Members throughout the years have struggled to maintain the green, pavilion and surrounds, right upto the present day.
Percy Haywood Founder
From the minute book
1934 Mr P Haywood first captain.
1935 Agreed to buy tea tent for £12
1937 Pavilion completed. All loans paid off.
1945 The cost of repairing the pavilion and roof was £20
1953 An estimate of £16 17 9 p was considered for concrete blocks to two sides of the green.
1960 Still no water to the green but water pipes have been laid in Landcroft Lane.
1967 It was agreed a fee of one shilling per person made at all home fixtures.
1970 Club balance only £12 1 3 p
1980 First visit to Cromer (day trip)
1982 Golden Jubilee. Special matches were arranged.
1990 Winner of the Corson Shield.
Welcome to Sutton Bonington Bowls Club
We are a small friendly club situated in the very south of Nottinghamshire. The club has been in existence since October 1932.
We play friendly games at weekends and would welcome teams within a 10 miles radius, that are looking for friendly games.
In the week we take part in league games, the mixed league being the most popular and best supported, this is run by Wymeswold Bowls Club